Dale,

If you can wait until MySQL updates their documentation (hopefully soon),
that will probably provide the easiest way to upgrade.

On the other hand, if you want to do this today...
Scott pointed out that my upgrade instructions still have a flaw and won't
work when INSMYSQL is used, despite my amendments. I apologize that in my
haste I didn't take the time to test those additional steps. I usually
download the .tar package and do the installations manually (the steps
that I originally listed should be correct in that case.) If you do follow
my instructions using INSMYSQL, you'll find that INSMYSQL complains about
the data directory existing. You can get around this by setting DATADIR to
some throwaway path like /tmp/blah.

So, here are the steps I've just tested:
(1) as a saftey measure, back up your existing data (using mysqldump or
similar tool);
(2) shut down the old version of MySQL;
(3) rename /etc/my.cnf to a temporary name (e.g. /etc/my.cnf2)
(4) run INSMYSQL, specifying DATADIR('/tmp/blah') or similar
(5) replace the existing /etc/my.cnf with the renamed file from step 3;
optionally delete /tmp/blah
(6) call QP2TERM; run bin/mysqld_safe to start the new version of the
server;
(7) run bin/mysql_upgrade in the new version;

Please let me know if you have any problems! Again, I apologize for the
incompleteness of my original response.

Thank you,
Tim Clark

Tim, Scott and everyone,

I am planning to upgrade to 5.1.39 On 9/29/09. I will follow Tim's
instructions, including steps 2.5 and 3.5. I think we ran into this
issue before, but when you are in the throes of trying to get it to
work, you fail to take any notes.

This time I will try for better notes and post what I find to the list.

---Dale