Hi Dale,

If you haven't upgraded MySQL, then I'm stumped as to where that error is
coming from. Since it was working for a while, something must have changed
since your initial installation. Perhaps the CCSIDs of some columns were
manually modified? In any case, a fresh installation of MySQL and SugarCRM
should get you back on track.

I agree that the documentation about upgrading MySQL is lacking. The
difficulty is that there are so many possible configurations of MySQL that
writing any sort of detailed descriptions of steps is sure to be wrong for
any particular user scenario. Regretfully, that's the way it is across all
MySQL platforms. The MySQL reference does have some information at
<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/upgrade.html>. Assuming you've got
a reasonably straightforward existing installation and that your data
directory is not inside of the existing MySQL server directory tree (i.e.
not inside mysql-5.1.34-i5os-powerXX), the basic summary is:
(1) as a saftey measure, back up your existing data (using mysqldump or
similar tool);
(2) shut down the old version of MySQL;
(3) install the new version beside the old version using normal
installation procedures;
(4) run bin/mysql_upgrade in the new version;
(5) start up the new version of MySQL.
Note that these steps only work for 5.1.x to 5.1.y upgrades! Moving from
5.0 or earlier is a bit more complicated.

That being said, if you installed MySQL using the INSMYSQL command, you
may find helpful an UPGMYSQL command included in the savefile package of
MySQL. It was written by the MySQL support team and will upgrade an
existing 5.1.x MySQL installation using basically the same process that I
outlined above. However, it will only run if no modifications have been
made to the /etc/my.cnf file since installation. Usage looks something
like
MYSQLINST/UPGMYSQL DIR('/QOpenSys/usr/local/')
DATADIR('/QOpenSys/mysql/data')
USERPRF(MYSQL) MYSQLUSR('root') PASSWORD('root')
CURINST('/QOpenSys/usr/local/mysql-5.1.34-i5os-power64')

Please let me know if you have any questions on the above. Like I said
earlier, its very hard to produce a comprehensive list of upgrade steps
that will work for everyone. But I'd be happy to help you resolve any
questions that arise from your particular situation.

Hope that helps!
Tim Clark

Tim,

We are running MYSQL 5.1.34 that was installed back in May. I guess
it's time for 5.1.39

As I recall, we developed the PHP program this month and it worked
ok for a while. Then it started throwing the character set error 2501.

But it doesn't matter, a bug is a bug. If it's fixed in 5.1.39, I
will install the new MYSQL.
The redbooks and papers are all great for installing the first time,
but there is not as much about upgrading to a newer version.
I will follow the redbook "Using IBM DB2 for i as a Storage Engine
of MySQL" and hope for the best

Since I have not started working with SUGARCRM, I will see if I can
figure out how to uninstall, and then start over after the MYSQL
upgrade.

Thanks also for clarifying when to call the IBM support line. A CPF
error or job log error. That makes sense.

---Dale