I have been going through it also. It is informative, easy to follow, and
full of examples. Though, I would have preferred that the examples were
building blocks to a working system. For example, say a simple order entry
system or something like that, with a couple of bells and whistles thrown
in, email notifications, convert output to CSV and/of PDF formats, etc. You
know, real life type things users request all the time.

Please note this is all due to my lack of understanding of the newer
browsers based technologies. I feel I'm still thinking/visualizing systems
designed as the procedural ones we all know so well. I'm having a hard time
conceptualizing how to build a browser based system. How to access the
system, or grant access to it, do I use a main page like a main menu, naming
conventions, etc. The list goes on and on. I know so little about it all,
that a simple working example that I could analyze and build upon would be a
huge benefit towards me actually using product. Currently I have no concept
of best practices, standards, etc. Way back when we were all newbie's, most
of us probably started supporting existing systems, and then eventually we
moved on to building new stuff. That's where I'm at now, I could use an
existing system to learn from, and it would have been nice to have it all
tied together in your book.

My other complaint (I use the term loosely), is having to go thought the
MySQL stuff prior to using DB2 as the database. By the time you get to the
DB2 stuff, it assumes you went though the MySQL info and builds upon it. I
plan on using DB2 because that's where all our data resides, I don't need to
complicate the process using a new database. The info is good to have in
the book, and I'll most likely use it someday, but for now I'd rather skip
past it.

Tim

message: 1
date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 07:11:32 -0400
from: Glenn Hopwood <ghopwood.list@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [WEB400] Getting started with Zend

Tech Guru wrote:
On a separate note, I'm always interested in hearing feedback about
the book. Did you get a copy? Has it helped you? Did you set fire to
it? ;-)

Jeff Olen
Olen Business Consulting, Inc.
jmo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
760-703-5149

I have purchased it. I'm about halfway through and so far it's been very
good.

Glenn