Kevin wrote:
From the end-user point of view, nothing below 500ms will make much of a
difference, especially if there are images and JavaScript.

I have to agree. I've been putting a lot of attention on optimizing
application performance. We are new to PHP. The last thing I want is a
slow PHP app giving my manager the impression that PHP is a "slow"
language. Usually performance gaps come from improper handling of
database / system connections. I code almost exclusively in OOP in PHP,
and I've seen little (if any) change in performance changes when coding
procedurally. But I have seen an ENORMOUS performance increase by by
coming up with more efficient ways of handling repeat database connections
and system calls.

Point is, I don't want this discussion to throw people off. if you have a
performance issue, check your database / system connectivity before
worrying about the size of your objects or frameworks.

Oh, one other tip. I've also found that is much more efficient to check if
an array key is empty than to use the array_key_exists function. I thought
my objects were slowing down an app once, and it wound up being the
repetitive use of the array_key_exists function that was hurting
performance.

Matt