Just to add to Jeff's comment - choice of Framework in the PHP world seems to depend a lot on what type of app you are going to build. This seems to be a natural outgrowth of PHP's "get it done" attitude compared with Java's focus on architectural purity.

For example the ATK framework from iBuildings (http://www.atk-framework.com/ ) is heavily focussed on building business applications. And by the way has a set of DB2 components that can be plugged in. This compared with others that clearly are designed to help you build the next Facebook/Blog site/eCommerce site. Xataface (http://xataface.com/) which focuses on fast construction of CRUD type database interfaces with minimal coding. I've written on both ATK and Xataface in recent months.

For an overall review - with examples of a number of current Framework champions - I'd suggest reading the March and June 2009 editions of PHP Architect magazine (www.phparch.com) - both are available for PDF download on the site for about $5 each. PHP Architect is heavily focussed on "modern" PHP and I've found it a very useful reference (even when I don't understand all of it!)

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com