Nathan,

Well put! But what is missing from your most accurate assessment is the
heart of the religious war brewing in the PHP community: Procedural vs.
Object Oriented development. Many believe, like Rasmus himself, that
procedural code is perfectly fine. That OO is an abomination that
should be reserved for the purists and the computer science majors. How
many i5 developers are running around with a degree in Bus Admin, or no
degree at all! If you are more comfortable with the phrase "Get'r done"
then the procedural model might be just right for you!

See Rasmus' toy page for more details on his perspective:
http://toys.lerdorf.com/archives/38-The-no-framework-PHP-MVC-framework.h
tml

Now that is not to say there is not merit in OO based Frameworks. There
is a LOT of good knowledge and talent wrapped up in the bowels of all
those includes and requires that can help a developer get things done
quickly, consistently and safely. This is not the first time we have
seen this battle folks. We've had this for years in RPGland. Only we
called it "Methodology". And we all know that all the abstraction
models and extra i/o routines were slower than a pure CHAIN and UPDATE.
When speed was an issue (like the pricing routine I wrote for a Pharma
Wholesaler that got called 3 million time a night to process orders) we
wrote tight RPG and left LR off in between calls. Otherwise, back to
the standards and canned i/o routines, etc. Anyone remember
Dreamwriter?

And let's not forget that the PHP language itself supports a mixed
environment. You can use procedural code, call an object when you need
it and go right back to procedural. Not to mention the ability to call
RPG, COBOL, CL and API programs directly from PHP when you really do
not have the time or inclination to reinvent the wheel!

Also, while your stats are impressive, do we know what generation of
hardware we are talking about? How much RAM? Was there a dedicated
memory pool setup for the Zend subsystem? Do they have 2,000 people
banging away at JD Edwards on a 1-way Model 270 at the same time you
were collecting your numbers? Maybe 1/10th of a processor on the demo
LPAR?

Please be aware that even though performance can always be measured
consistently in milliseconds, it varies greatly in hardware & software
configuration!

Just my $.02

Regards,

Mike