From the end-user point of view, nothing below 500ms will make much of a
difference, especially if there are images and JavaScript.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Nathan Andelin
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 9:12 AM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] PHP - Best Appication Structure

From: Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen
Perhaps this has not been done fr the ATK installation?

Netcraft indicates that http://atk.achievo.org is running on Linux in
Denmark. When I ping the server, the response takes 194 milliseconds,
as opposed to just 1 millisecond to ping my server. That's more network
latency than I originally estimated over the internet.

By removing network latency, it appears that time (with rounding) spent
processing a record change on the server would be more like:

900 + 500 - 200 - 200 = 1000 milliseconds

vs.

3 + 2 - 1 - 1 = 3 milliseconds

The following screen-shot compares the two applications running within
my portal.

http://www.radile.com/rdweb/temp/atkdemo.html

Other than Netcraft indicating Linux, I don't know what sort of hardware
might be supporting the ATK demo. But OnePoint portal is running on a
1-cpu, 1-core, 1-thread, 1MB-RAM, 0-L3 cache model 520 server.

-Nathan.