All programming language compilers and assemblers are code generators. What separates them is the level at which the developer works. If you have to write in one language and debug another, that's the problem.

-----Original Message-----
From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Booth Martin
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:31 PM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] GWT

I have hesitated to respond because this could so easily turn into a
Holy War.

RPG, Report Program Generator, is a code generator. Its how I make my
living. Can it be a surprise I like it? As I look at other choices
and realize how much RPG does for me, and how well it protects me from
myself, I have be appreciative. Does this mean I believe David's
attitude is misguided? Not at all. He's a fargin' coding genius! He
doesn't need to be protected from himself. :)

I've used, and liked, Pro-Gen. That was a code generator. It required
an attitude of going along to get along. Tweaking generated code was
possible, even easy and well documented. However I never found an
instance where Pro-Gen wouldn't do what I wanted done. Tweaking it was
a waste of client money.

I used, and liked, VARPG which is a drag & drop application builder and
I never saw any benefit to knowing how to create/edit .dll files.

I learned how to write HTML pages with Notepad, but the move to Net
Objects Fusion was a big leap forward in my productivity and
sophistication.

GWT is still not totally baked, but it does allow me to produce usable
stuff, and is web-based,, which is where I want to go, anyway.

James Perkins wrote:
Yes, that's kind of where I was trying to go, but it obviously did not come
across that way.

I actually don't know that I have heard your opinions on code generators. I
personally do not like them at all. I don't like the idea of just anybody
being able to program via a code generator. Having to maintain that code is
an absolute nightmare. But that's just my opinion on it.

I have downloaded GWT a few times and thought about using it, but it all
comes down to that generated code. Will it produce what I want? What
compromise do I have to make in order to use it? All questions I have
thought, but haven't researched so they may not be issues in GWT. It just
boils down to "I'm stuck with what ever code it produces" and I'm just not a
fan of that. I should probably at check it out though before spewing all
these opinions.

--
James R. Perkins