I have hesitated to respond because this could so easily turn into a Holy War.
RPG, Report Program Generator, is a code generator. Its how I make my living. Can it be a surprise I like it? As I look at other choices and realize how much RPG does for me, and how well it protects me from myself, I have be appreciative. Does this mean I believe David's attitude is misguided? Not at all. He's a fargin' coding genius! He doesn't need to be protected from himself. :)

I've used, and liked, Pro-Gen. That was a code generator. It required an attitude of going along to get along. Tweaking generated code was possible, even easy and well documented. However I never found an instance where Pro-Gen wouldn't do what I wanted done. Tweaking it was a waste of client money.
I used, and liked, VARPG which is a drag & drop application builder and I never saw any benefit to knowing how to create/edit .dll files.

I learned how to write HTML pages with Notepad, but the move to Net Objects Fusion was a big leap forward in my productivity and sophistication.

GWT is still not totally baked, but it does allow me to produce usable stuff, and is web-based,, which is where I want to go, anyway.

James Perkins wrote:
Yes, that's kind of where I was trying to go, but it obviously did not come
across that way.

I actually don't know that I have heard your opinions on code generators. I
personally do not like them at all. I don't like the idea of just anybody
being able to program via a code generator. Having to maintain that code is
an absolute nightmare. But that's just my opinion on it.

I have downloaded GWT a few times and thought about using it, but it all
comes down to that generated code. Will it produce what I want? What
compromise do I have to make in order to use it? All questions I have
thought, but haven't researched so they may not be issues in GWT. It just
boils down to "I'm stuck with what ever code it produces" and I'm just not a
fan of that. I should probably at check it out though before spewing all
these opinions.

--
James R. Perkins