From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: 05 October 2008 05:15
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] WDSC with vista

Dr. Syd Nicholson wrote:
Agreed - I am certain it is a 64bit issue.

Eclipse versions prior to 3.4M3 have issues with 64-bit Windows. This
is a long-standing and well-known problem. For just one take on it,
look here:

http://www.eclipsezone.com/eclipse/forums/t96324.html

Since WDSC is built on Eclipse 3.2, it's unlikely to ever work well with
Vista 64. It may work sometimes, sometimes not. Interestingly, the
older version of Eclipse (3.1) actually worked better; thus the
situation where WDSC 6 built on 3.1 works on 64 bit systems where WDSC 7
built on 3.2 does not.

Here again I don't quite understand. You say time is money, but you use
64-bit Vista, which is generally less compatible with various hardware
and software than the 32-bit edition without a lot of upside. Typically
64-bit software makes more sense on a server than on a workstation.
Unless you have a real need for 64-bit features (the primary one being
memory over 4GB) then I don't see the business benefit of the 64-bit
edition. But again, that's just me.

Joe