From: Joe Pluta

Because I wasn't talking about features that are already public
knowledge,
but instead probing to see if your interaction with the Rational team
revealed more appealing features other than being able to trim more than
spaces with the %trim() bif.

Wow. Your summary of the changes in RPG over the last decade is that
%trim removes spaces.

That should read "removes more than spaces". And you know, I realized my
retort was somewhat caustic, perhaps more than it needed to be. But yet,
I've tried to re-read your comment and take it as just light-hearted banter,
and I can't.

Maybe it's just me, but your statement gives the sense that you think that
overall the changes made to the RPG language in the last ten years have been
on a programmatic par with adding non-blank trimming capabilities. Cute as
that might be to you, I find it horribly offensive. I suppose I should
lighten up, since I'm not on the compiler team and they probably don't much
need or care about my being offended, but it's just that the tone here on
the list that has gotten nastier over the last, I don't know, twelve,
eighteen maybe twenty-four months. And I take things more personally.

I suppose it's just me. I'm getting older and crankier. And meanwhile
maybe programming, which used to be a very cooperative and mutually
supportive environment, is simply becoming more reflective of society in
general. Maybe Trevor's rumor and innuendo is simply an extension of the
sound-bite driven, gossip-fueled drive-by media we live with. Maybe Steve's
constant IBM bashing is nothing more than a mailing list version of talk
radio, taking good ideas and turning them annoying through constant droning
repetition.

Maybe even your monumental self-confidence and disdain for the capabilities
of others is simply a mirror of the VH1 and MTV world.

Maybe we should rename the mailing lists:

Pimp My Web.

Shot at IBM with Steve Richter.

America's Most Smartest Programmer.

Anyway, it's getting to be that time of year when we do some inward analysis
and see where we need to change or grow. Me, I think I need to stop
fighting IBM's battles and indeed stop fighting any battles at all here on
the lists. Even though I go into a conversation with the intent to be
completely factual and non-confrontational, it seems that at least with some
people or on some subjects I'm unable to avoid some level of strife. So
it's best I just relax and stay out of the opinion business.

I'm not sure I'll be able to do so entirely; it's not in my nature to let
inaccuracies go unchecked. But I'll just try to avoid contradicting anyone
for a while, simply answering technical questions and staying out of the
fights.

(And no Trevor, I don't promise anything. So you are forbidden to say that
I broke my promise.)

Joe

P.S. Sledding with a three year old is one of the most funnest things on the
planet.