Hi Nathan, you've resumed very well the situation in a few paragraphs.
Really the best resume I've seen.
This is really our main worry about the future of the iSeries platform.

It could be worse.  We could be dealing with a platform where the highest
priority task was one monitoring mouse events;  one where a user moves a mouse
across the screen and about eight hundred messages are sent to the program
controlling the forefront window.  The System i knows how to effectively manage
server workloads, at least  <smile>.

IBM finally came out with iSeries Access for the Web, and Webfacing, and HATS
as interim, stop-gap measures, in response to recalcitrant users who were slow
in moving to Websphere.

I don't blame recalcitrant users, though.  Under a 5250 paradiam, people could
create robust, turn-key solutions without worrying about architecture.  The
native interface was so simple and well integrated, and performed so well that
new applications were popping up in every industry for quite a few years.

I'm still optimistic about the platform.  We need to move past interim
solution, though.

AJAX could be a key.  We're beginning to see applications with desktop-like
interactivity, even though the applications are hosted on a server, and the
majority of code is running on a server.

Nathan.