Yes we are also implementing AJAX in some web 400 applications in RPG, and
the results are so good,
but can't break the apparent main interest being "I've 700 programs and I
want to convert this all in a few days and mainly at not cost".
Sure we can argue that one converted application is not a web application
and so on, but the not-recode in 400 will convert the best option in recode
in .Net or other options outside the iSeries plattform.
Also couriously, the wanting of free (no cost) desiree converts easily in
wasting a lot of money in other plattform in the future.

<<It could be worse.>> I hope not ....

Saludos/Regards,
Guillermo Andrades
http://cpiS.es

On 12/3/06, Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi Nathan, you've resumed very well the situation in a few paragraphs.
>Really the best resume I've seen.
>This is really our main worry about the future of the iSeries platform.

It could be worse.  We could be dealing with a platform where the highest
priority task was one monitoring mouse events;  one where a user moves a
mouse across the screen and about eight hundred messages are sent to the
program controlling the forefront window.  The System i knows how to
effectively manage server workloads, at least  <smile>.

IBM finally came out with iSeries Access for the Web, and Webfacing, and
HATS as interim, stop-gap measures, in response to recalcitrant users who
were slow in moving to Websphere.

I don't blame recalcitrant users, though.  Under a 5250 paradiam, people
could create robust, turn-key solutions without worrying about
architecture.  The native interface was so simple and well integrated, and
performed so well that new applications were popping up in every industry
for quite a few years.

I'm still optimistic about the platform.  We need to move past interim
solution, though.

AJAX could be a key.  We're beginning to see applications with
desktop-like interactivity, even though the applications are hosted on a
server, and the majority of code is running on a server.

Nathan.