We seem to be entering the next phase of browser user interfaces, which are
based on AJAX.  If the new UI paradigm doesn't precisely fit with the 3GL
language de jour, you're basically stuck.

That's why being able to go back to raw CGI just needs to be able to happen
sometimes.  An example of failure in this area is when I was trying to do
some off the beaten path UI stuff in JSF (Java Server Faces).  I needed to
make use of some JSP tags that weren't yet in JSF and found myself having
both of the languages conflicting with eachother (they run under two
different engines within the servlet container as I understand it, which
means they aren't executed in the same pass).

Anyways, my biggest concern with Rails is if it ponies up when I need to
write a more complex application.  I would rather not have to do trial and
error to find that out because right now I am "framework fried" after trying
both JSF and Tapestry and finding they both caused just as many headaches as
the time I was expecting to save.

If anybody has the time to evaluate Rails to see if it is up to par when the
enterprise needs roll in, that would make a good piece on imho.midrange.com
- of course you would have to put opinions in it to make it fit and not just
facts ;-)

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com