What I like about Rails, and don't like about IBM's solutions, is that
it does the hard work for me and leaves me to solve my problem. More
importantly it gets you to your solutions quickly, install/run wow
I've just created a blog. On the iSeries I think the reason lots of
people use RPG-CGI is because you only have to learn QtmhWrStout and
one or two Apache directives and wham you're a web developer straight
from your good old RPG. The other beauty about RoR is that I can
download it on to any Mac/PC/Linux box and play with it for free. If I
want to learn one of IBM's solutions I have to get my head around
WDSC, WAS and IBM's licencing rules just for having a look. I believe
that if IBM were serious about moving iSeries developers forward they
should find a "press this button-change code here" solution. Get a
green screen menu option that sets up the "dirty stuff" and lets you
write an RPG program. Why should an RPG programmer have to learn Java
Servlets first, when most times they will end up copying an existing
solution anyway? I know IBM want to sell stuff, but I think they may
sell more if they make the first step easy, we can go back to the
complicated things when we feel comfortable.

I love the RoR "opinionated software" approach too; do it this way
because it's easy and works. If you want to do something else then by
all means go and study and then do it you way, but if you want to be
productive now do it this way and get on with it. Perhaps IBM should
occasionally be a bit dictatorial :-)