>In a production setting, a preformatted table with rows

I couldn't agree more. However, most of that complexity (not that that
is complex) would be the same whether the app was using Ajax or
"classic" postbacks. I purposely didn't even use a table to isolate the
Ajax-specific code.

>It looks like you're using an open-source toolkit.
>...why locate them in a directory underneath your application
directory?
>Does that have something to do with ASPX.Net?

Yup. I'm using the Prototype library from http://prototype.conio.net/.
It's a terrific library that we've used in production code w/JSP& Tomcat
on Windows, JSP and Websphere on iSeries, Websphere Portal on iSeries
and ASP.NET. It really is back-end agnostic.

The only reason it was under the application directory is that the w3
server is a testing/proving ground full of all sorts of weird stuff and
different technologies. I know we have ASP.NET 1.1, 2.0 (this was 2.0),
Cold Fusion and "plain" html in there, and there may be a couple of
other things going on. It was just "safer" to keep that application
self-contained. It's not nothing to do with ASP.Net.

>...chink in Microsoft's armor...
>based on tightly coupled interfaces front-to-back

To be honest I've not played much with MS's Ajax support (Atlas).
ASP.Net 2.0 added support for asynchronous callbacks, so it's partway
there, but Atlas adds much on top of that. However, since I'm familiar
w/Prototype, and we were talking about something that involved an i5 I
figured I'd use some non-MS stuff.

There's absolutely nothing in the HTML that is MS-specific. Other than
showing the session ID, there is no server-side code for the
Default.aspx page, it could be pure-static html. And the AddItems.aspx
page could be easily implemented in any language as long as it returned
a JSON representation of the result object, which is rather trivial.

BTW, if you haven't yet, take a look at
http://w3.techsoftwareinc.com/midrange/ajax/additem.aspx?Item=12345&Qty=
22 and see what comes back. If you can return that the app can use you
as a service.

-Walden