> From: Bob Cozzi
>
> >>...making the slightest change involves modifying
> >>and recompiling an RPG program.  All of which makes
> >>a very unproductive environment.
>
> You mean with HTML embedding in RPG, right?

Yes.

> >>Am I correct in assuming that a lot of it is under programmer
control at
> >>runtime?  For example, do you have to populate a variable with the
> >>length of an input field.  With a good, thin JSP approach, you
simply
> >>identify the attributes of the fields and let the infrastructure
format
> >>the HTML tags.  I'm not saying you couldn't do the same with
RPG-CGI,
> >>it's just that I haven't seen anything like it in any of the
packages.

> With CGILIB and RPG, you copy the data to the token/tag in the HTML
and
> the
> infrastructure puts it out there. Does it format it? No, the RPG
program
> would need to format it, but mostly it is just %char() or %EditC()
kind of
> formatting. For example, to set the field named CONTACT to "Bob Cozzi"
you
> would code:  callp  cgiSetVar('CONTACT' : 'Bob Cozzi')
> Of course you could use fields in the RPG code instead of literals.

Yeah, but what if the length of the field changes?  Where is the maximum
length of the field identified?  Is it in the HTML page?  If so, then
you have to go and change the HTML whenever the field changes.

With my thin-veneer JSP approach, the input tag is formatted by the
infrastructure, which means changes to the field don't affect the HTML.
You identify the attributes of the fields in the dictionary (also known
as the AppFactory) and that is what is used to build the HTML.

Joe