From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of albartell
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 9:09 AM
To: 'Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: RE: [WEB400] 520 pricing structure

Interesting numbers!

Let me share the other side of the coin to play devils advocate :-)

One of my JSF apps I just released is running on a Dell rackmount Dual 2Ghz,
2GB RAM, 15K RPM HD, Dual Power supply, with Dell guaranteed 4 hours
turnaround support for about $5000.  So if I can get a Dell for 1/2 the
price of the lowest iSeries and "get the same support", and use a
development environment like MyEclipseIDE ($30/yr), why would someone go
with an iSeries? (Playing devils advocate)

It seems that if an IT shop knows how to play their open source cards, and
aren't afraid of "not having support because it is open source", they can
successfully run an enterprise with "open source" technologies.

The funny thing is that IBM keeps pushing technologies (Java, Apache, etc)
that allow people to run their apps on anything including iSeries. Many of
the people making the decision to go or not go with iSeries have no idea why
they chose the direction other than initial money saved.

Aaron Bartell