"IBM doesn't care about things costing nothing. They only care about things
that bring in revenue, directly, not indirectly."

And I am still trying to figure out what revenue, exactly, they DO care about. I thought it was anything that drove hardware sales for them but that appears not to be enough. We "sell" open source applications and recently applied to be an iSeries reseller. We were denied because our VAE was open source (presumably because we don't charge for the software). Now why IBM cares what we charge for our application is beyond us. A potential customer could decide that they want to run our application on Websphere rather than Tomcat and thus even drive a few more $$ to IBM. We want to drive *more* iSeries sales and we are looking for recurring service revenue to grow the business but IBM said "No way".
IBM "embraces" open source as a marketing ploy but when it comes to building a
business around an open source model, they appear not to be interested.  They will
apparently give more than lip service to open source projects, but it appears that the
lip service will only extend so far.  They have yet to learn that doing what is right for
the customer is always right for the business.

Sigh....another example that the elephant can't dance.....

Pete Helgren

Bob Cozzi wrote:

It will cost IBM nothing...
IBM doesn't care about things costing nothing. They only care about things
that bring in revenue, directly, not indirectly.
-Bob Cozzi
www.RPGxTools.com
If everything is under control, you are going too slow.
- Mario Andretti