1. When we talk about "a change to the user interface...", it doesn't mean
user interface elements such as new input fields, but the presentation of
data. It's totally understood that if new input is required from the user, the
program must necessarily change. Duh. But, CGIDEV2, Nathan's Relational-Web,
and FastTemplate (Perl or PHP, take your pick) allow the program to dump all
that nasty HTML code to template files.

The template defines HOW to display the output. All the program should do is
fill in variables. This way, you can change the presentation without
changing/recompiling the program supplying the data. Want to change from 3
columns to 3 stack? Change the template. Want to italicize or boldface an
item? Change the template. Want to add a new field to the output? OK, then you
need to change both the template and the program.

Properly constructed, you never need to recompile the program when you change
the template. Program = WHAT, template = HOW.

2. This is not saying a program is not needed, but that a program should not
contain HTML. CGIDEV2 is all about RPG (and COBOL), and I use it because it
provides a separation between what I display and how I display it. As a matter
of fact, if I wanted to create XML, I could do so easily by creating an XML
template file (using the same section and variable names), and (probably) only
add selection logic to the RPG program to determine which template to use.

NOTE: I do not work for Relational Data, and I do not use Relational Web. I do
not resell their product.

Examples of CGIDEV2, Relational-Web, and NET.Data can be found here:
<http://www.relationaldata.com/p.roducts/rweb/cgi/mainfs.htm>. All allow for
some degree of HTML/logic separation. Relational-Web & CGIDEV2 allow the most,
and NET.Data mixes HTML + macros.

You do not put DDS keywords in your RPG programs. Why should you put HTML
keywords in your programs?

HTH,
Loyd

--
"Why, you can even hear yourself think." --Hobbes
"This is making me nervous. Let's go in." --Calvin