Loyd, again I agree to a certain point.  The reason I asked
my questions is because it was said changing the user
interface requires no programming.  It wasn't explained that
this did not mean adding or removing input fields.

To some, they may assume this.  I just wanted to make sure
it was understand that it was not that easy.  Thanks for
defining what this "change" was.

Now, controlling "how" data looks really consists of two
layers.

1.  How the data itself is presented, ie a table, dropdown
box, list, text box, etc.
2.  How the data "looks".  ie. it's style.  This can easily
be done using stylesheets, font HTML codes, etc.

I assume you are referring to #1 when speaking of templates.

Templates can make your job easier, yes.  But as the
projects become more complicated, the templates (which will
multiply very quickly) do as well.  Changing the display of
data from a table to a dropdown box is not always as easy as
changing the template.

I created quite a large system for the company I used to
work for.  I did not use templates (that doesn't mean I
don't think they are a valuable option).  Instead, I chose
to put the "how" into the programming using control files.
This way the user of the pages themselves could choose what
data is displayed, and how it was displayed using simple
interfaces.

In this case, there were not actual html files to change.
And each user could have their own unique display, including
what data, how it was displayed, and what display attributes
were used (font, color, etc...)

As far as "you shouldn't ANY put HTML in your CGI programs",
I just disagree.

You say that you don't put DDS keywords in your programs.
That should read "you really CAN'T" put DDS keywords in your
programs.

If you could put DDS keywords into your RPG programs, I can
know that people would.  You can already control color,
positioning and other attributes for display files using RPG
programs (similar to using Stylesheets with HTML).  If it
were easy to build an "on the fly" display file as it were
an HTML page, I wager it would go over quite well.

Also, the two are really not good comparisons of a user
interface.  HTML web pages are not near as interactive as a
display file.

There are more than five ways to skin a cat, and there will
be more in the future.  I just don't like it when people say
"you shouldn't do this", especially when it's to sell a
product or service.  In reality, most (even outside the
iSeries arena) do put HTML in their CGI applications.  And
to little or no consequence.  And I'm not talking about head
to toe HTML in a CGI program.

Take care,

Brad
www.bvstools.com