  • Subject: RE: Hey Guys - people actually think that I know what I'm talking about...
  • From: Andrew Borts <andrewb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 16:03:45 -0400

OK - here's the model I want everyone to know about...
1) Communicating to a back end system, and having a sacrificial lamb system
sitting on the web is a turn on to all supermodels!  They like it because
the front end can be re-built with data from the back end, while the back
end does what it always did.  Only case where this may not work is B2B
where they need access to the MOST recent info
2) Since the E-commerce front end can spend 100% of it's activities on
selling stuff, connecting into it and sending info every 10 minutes works
just fine.  Keep one good backup handy in a save file in the back end, and
if/when the site goes belly up - take the backup, re-build the site as if
it were brand new, and re-synchronize the data to the back end.

User ID's & PW's - should only be a few of them active - all the rest
should be disabled.  For E-Commerce  app's (higher traffic) this works.
 For high traffic B2B - maybe use the same technique, and keep a copy of
the live data on the web server, and trigger something (Sounds like a DB2
technique!) it to DDM or data queue or whatever the changed records to
homebase.  At all costs, try not to have traffic get to your bread and
butter machine!!

Andrew Borts / E-Commerce Project Leader
Seta Corporation
6400 East Rogers Circle
Boca Raton, FL 33499

E-mail: Andrewb@setacorporation.com