  • Subject: RE: Hey Guys - people actually think that I know what I'm talking about...
  • From: "Stone, Brad V (TC)" <bvstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 15:32:33 -0500

My system is hardly static.  then again, your definition of static and mine
may be different, and we are probably on different pages anyway.

Also, if you tell someone...

"If we do not take the machine down for 1 hour a month to do backups, there
could be BIG problems.  If the system goes down and you don't allow for
these backups, you'll be down for good."

And they say

"I don't care.  No backups!!"

You have 2 choices.

1.  Don't do them, and at the first sign of fire, run.
2.  Do the backups anyways, and see if they notice.  Then when a crash
happens tell them "I told you so", but don't tell them you did backups.
Then say "I can get your system back up in 1 hour for 500k or in 3 weeks for
100k" and see which option they take.  They take option 1, you retire and
look like a hero.  Because, those backups never existed.

If you simply give up after hearing project requirement of "24/7" and don't
discuss the pros and cons of doing backups, then you as a project
manager/solution provider have failed.   I don't see what is so hard about
understanding that.

When someone asks me to jump, I don't so "how high".  I say "what is the
benefit of jumping?"  and I get more respect (and self-respect) in the
longrun for that than licking boots.

Brad

Brad

+---