  • Subject: RE: Websphere VS RPG
  • From: "Bleddyn Williams" <bleddyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 18:33:42 -0000

Kevin have a look over on IGNITe/400 we have a lot of information about
WebSphere, and also the discussions about using it for the Java environment.
The list is a good place for that discussion you can find an archive at
http://ww2.ignite400.org/Lists/ign_list/List.html, have a look through and
you will see what has been said, hopefully that would help.

At the end of the day it comes down to what you do, what you want to build,
and where you will build it. The WebSphere Application Server which is the
main component of the WebSphere group of products, is a heavy duty piece of
software designed to manage and run your environment. And if you wanted to
start looking into servlets and JSP's, there are other lighter alternatives
for that environment such as Tomcat to get you going.

Think of WebSphere as two things a range of products under a branded name to
get IBM mindshare. And the WAS (WebSphere Application Server) as the central
core of those products. That's the bit in its various guises that you
attempt to install on the 400, and perhaps after a few problems eventually
get to start up!

Thanks Bleddyn

http://www.ignite400.org - iSeries eBusiness User Group