From: x y <xy6581@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: "WDSCI-L" <wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Rational Developer for IBM i <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [WDSCI-L] Connect to i from home
Date: Thu, Oct 8, 2020 1:39 PM

I've never had my ThinkPad laptop directly connected to my host
system--it's either been through a standard internet connection (with
several extra ports open) or, recently, through a Cisco VPN.

Depending upon your setup, performance will be good to okay.  My host
moved
from 25 miles away to 1,000 miles away and I can feel the difference.
 When
working in CL(LE), performance will suffer if you enable full command
checking--RDi then goes back to the host to validate every command--and
every non-comment, non-continued line in a CL(LE) program is a command,
so
it gets slow.  And I believe some SQL editing in RPG is done on the host
and not in RDi.  Finally, you should have a large monitor to make
split-screen and/or multi-member editing an enjoyable experience.  For
best
results, have one monitor in standard landscape mode and another in
portrait (tall) mode; if your font is set to 9, you'll get a lot of code
on
the portrait monitor.

It doesn't take a lot of learning to get you going in RDi.  The most
complicated setup change I made was to configure my master build
(compile)
command as the default; this allows me to click the Compile button and
off
it goes.

-Xavier

at [8]https://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l ;.