From: WDSCI-L <wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Buck Calabro
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 10:22 AM
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [WDSCI-L] Debug finds iProjects source first (was Re: RDI 9.6.0.5 is NOT 100% **FREE compatible...)

On 3/14/2019 8:23 AM, Ken Killian wrote:

Just this weekend, we had a senior developer debugging on RDI. And it brought up the WRONG SOURCE! Ouch!

I have the developer DELETE his i-Project to fix that error. Then I
show him how he has to manual exclude searching "i-Projects" for the
source. That has burned me BEFORE. Use Green Screen debug! It works
everytime WITHOUT FAIL! As I tell everyone. :)

If the source is on the system, why wouldn't you use the source
compiled on the system FIRST?!?!?!?! And then if it does not exist,
then try searching the off-line i-Projects. Oh well, that is how IBM
designed it for whatever reason. That is just how it works. But, I
guess you can manually tell it NOT to search i-Projects for a debug
configuration. So, I guess we have a "Work-Around". Not a good default
in my opinion. Oh well, at least he know now! :)
When one uses i Projects, the source in i Projects IS THE ONLY REAL SOURCE. Everything else is a stale copy. That's kind of the point of i Projects.

Many of us are twisting the arm of i Projects in order to use Git and friends for source change control. Even in this situation, the i Project source needs to be considered the canonical copy. I sure don't want someone changing the source in a library and then I change my copy in i Projects and push that to the library and whoops!

But time does pass, and eventually I'm done making changes, and the code gets promoted to production. At that moment, I delete the i Project.
It's a housekeeping step that I often don't bother with when I use a filter/connexion as a poor-man's project management system.

Your group seems to want to keep the old i Projects around in your workspace; hey, we're all different. Fortunately, RDi allows you to do that and still debug the source that's in the library. Preferences > Run/Debug > IBM i Debug, then untick the box near the top that says 'Search i Projects first for debug source. That should resolve the issue you're experiencing.

--
--buck

http://wiki.midrange.com
Your updates make it better!

--
This is the Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries (WDSCI-L) mailing list To post a message email: WDSCI-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,