Let's look at cost for a bit. Visual studio pro subscription costs > $1000 per
seat with a $800 renewal. Companies have no trouble paying for that. Visual
studio pro without subscription is $500 with no published renewal price. So
VS may, or may not be cheaper to start with, but it is always more
expensive long term.