In RDI 9.5 you could do this under "Remote Systems" "Remote Systems LPEX Editor" -> "IBM I Parsers" -> "ILE RPG",
Check User Defined Tabs.
In the line type Drop Down select "Free-Form" then enter a "^" for column 2. Remove the other "^".
Then set "And every" to 2.

In RDI 9.6 the same settings are ignored in with **free programs.
This appears to be because the keys are now bound to different actions.

The action to use the tab stops would be:
Tab nextTabStop
s-tab prevTabStop

The new actions that are active when in a **Free program are:

tab nextTab
s-tab prevTab

using "query keyAction.tab" you get "keyAction.tab nextTab"
using "query keyAction.s-tab" you get "keyAction.s-tab prevTab"

The key change appears to be very prevalent and they are constantly syncing it.

I attempted to change the action using this command, but as soon as I re-entered the editor window the action was reset to "nextTab":
set keyAction.tab nextTabStop

I also tried setting "tab" to the action "nextTabStop" in the preferences "LPEX Editor" -> "User Key Actions".
It was still not used.

I then tried a different key and found that the action could be bound.
For testing I bound "c-5" ctrl-5 to the action "nextTabStop" and verified that the action does use the tabs setup for the line type like 9.5.

So, in RDI 9.6.0.1 IBM's plugin to process **FREE programs appears to be overriding the tab action to one that won't allow the tab stops to be set.

You may need to RFE it to get the tab stop feature back.
I'd suggest they add a new line type to ILE RPG called "Fully Free" or"**FREE" or something unique for the new format.
And then follow the tab settings for that line.

Otherwise you are stuck with pressing the space bar to go to column two, then pressing the tab key.

Chris Hiebert
Senior Programmer/Analyst