From: WDSCI-L [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of j.beckeringh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 6:23 AM
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] i Projects - improvements - request for input

Edmund,

You focus on the sequence numbers and I see others answering that they don't care about the sequence numbers. I can't imagine anyone really caring about the sequence numbers; even SEU has the option to renumber on save.

But stripping the dates, that is something different. Traditionally many of us programmers rely on these dates. When was this program changed? And what was changed on that day? The method may be far from perfect, but it is often the first, and often successful attempt at finding out what went wrong. It may be true that source control offers richer traceability, but taking away the source dates will force people, rather than convince them, to change the way they work.

Sofar I have not found a compelling reason yet to delve into i Projects, so I don't really mind whether i Projects strip sequence numbers and dates, but I think it is only fair to emphasize that dates will also be stripped.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Joep Beckeringh
Systeemontwerper
Pantheon Automatisering B.V.
Heerenveen

info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.pantheon-automatisering.nl
KvK 01055135

"Edmund Reinhardt" <edmund.reinhardt@xxxxxxxxxx>

16-10-2017 21:40

Hello everybody
You hopefully have seen that some gooodies are coming your way soon.
We did invest in iProjects in making it easy to submit builds and get
error
feedback from within the editor via shortcut keys, so your fingers
never have to leave the keyboard.
Another request was to be aple to set the associated connection and
library
for a selection of multiple iProjects. This is very handy when
extracting
projects from a source control system like RTC or Git.

In general when managing iProjects with source control, it is a much
safer
practice to strip off sequence numbers. While this is currently
available
as a preference ( Preferences>i Projects "Remove sequence number and
date
fields on download"),
it is not the default. The presence of sequence numbers in source
control
complicate many operations including compare. We are doing our best
to manage sequence numbers automatically in this coming release, but
there
are
still cases beyond our power.
I would like to make it the default to strip these sequence numbers,
since
the source control system provides a much richer traceability of who
changed what, when and for what reason, than the current sequence
numbers
provide.

Are there strong objections?

Thanks