From: WDSCI-L [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of MichaelQuigley@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, September 5, 2017 9:43 PM
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Multiple issues with CL Source editing

"WDSCI-L" <wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 09/05/2017 02:04:34 PM:
----- Message from Duane Scott <dscott@xxxxxxxxxxx> on Tue, 5 Sep
2017 18:00:48 +0000 -----

"Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client
for System i & iSeries" <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Re: [WDSCI-L] Multiple issues with CL Source editing

Thanks Buck,

Actually turning off the formatter is probably an idea that I will
pursue. In this case, I was using F4 and not paying attention to the
auto-formatter. Much of my code changes to CL source have been on
lines where reformatting would not put beyond the 80 or was not being
reformatted. I try not to change much CL code, which is why this is
only now becoming an issue after a couple of years of working in
RDi.

I've left the formatter on and prompt commands all the time. I find the
preferences work well--except that it seems to ignore the "Command
position" setting. No matter what I set that to, the command starts in
position 14. The indent value works, but the command position never
changes no matter what I set that to.

As to the truncation, that's what was so disturbing. I was merrily
editing away, changing every line in the code, allowing it to auto-
format so that the command started in column 4 and the total line
number reduced, making it much easier to read/recode. Then, I saved
it and discovered (after a couple of days of playing and changing)
that my code was pooched. Now I get to start all over. Or would
have if it wasn't for the fact that my source is salvageable because
RDi hasn't cleared the member out of the local copy. I'm happy, but
confused. (which is not always a bad thing).

But my formatter only does 80 column if I set it to do 80 column on
the line length (for CL) preference. Otherwise, it's set for
*RCDLEN and doing it at 100, which appears to be different from what
help says for Line Length for CL.

The help text must be referring to the source data length.

Michael Quigley
Computer Services
The Way International