From: WDSCI-L [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of MichaelQuigley@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, September 6, 2017 8:51 PM
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Multiple issues with CL Source editing

"WDSCI-L" <wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 09/06/2017 12:08:20 PM:
----- Message from Ken Killian <kkillian@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on Wed, 6 Sep
2017 15:45:44 +0000 -----

"Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client
for System i & iSeries" <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Re: [WDSCI-L] Multiple issues with CL Source editing

Michel,

I start my CL in column 4, and it works for me...

But, I have to change the line, for it to "kick-in" on the reformat...

window>preferences>Remote System>Remote System LPEX Editor>IBM i
Parsers>CL

Checked: Automatic Indent Blanks(1-20): 5 // I use 5-spaces.
Checked: Automatic formatting
Label Position: 2
Command position 4
Continued line indent: 6
Line Length: *RCDLEN

Ken,

When I posted yesterday, I had tried changing the preference for 'Command position' and then tried to modify a line in the middle of a program. It still left the command starting in position 14 (the default). I modified the preference to 4 today and opened a member. I pressed [space]on the PGM statement and it moved it to column 4. I next did a block select of several lines and pressed Alt+F7 to move the block left one space--the whole block moved to column 4. So far, good. Except that I'm puzzled why I couldn't get it to work the other day. So I went to the middle of the program and modified a line. The command stayed in position 14. So it appears that the indent is definitely affected by the line(s) above it. I used the block-select and Alt+F7 method to change the indent on all the lines down to the command I had tried to move previously and everything aligned to column 4.

Then I got to a label and everything above the label moved to column 4.
But after the label, the command was indented far to the right of column 4. This could be related to APAR SE67079 which was opened based on a PMR I submitted for indent problems after comments. I may submit a new PMR referencing my earlier one and the APAR. The indent function is definitely buggy.
Playing with it a little more I nailed down this problem: I have 'Label above command' checked. So it puts the label at the column specified in the preferences and then indents the command as a continuation of the line the label is on. Since it's now placed a command further indented, it continues to indent commands on subsequent source lines, too. I opened a PMR on this.

But the formatter works without problems for me. I would venture a guess there are some special circumstances causing the formatter to not wrap lines correctly.

So there may be bugs, but I'll take RDi with bugs any day over SEU (Stone-tablet Editor, Unproductive edition). SEU was great in it's day, but it's time to put it to rest.

Michael Quigley
Computer Services
The Way International