Hi Vernon,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by key mapping - there seems to be a
bunch of places in RDi where you can define stuff related to keys..

I think last time I looked at User Key Actions ( which is where you can
define key shortcuts to call RDi actions ) - I have already set some of
those up for "splitAndShift" and "pasteOverlay".

But I think with regard to my current requirement I couldn't see how that
would work as IIRC the actions don't allow you to pass parameters, the
"paste" action for example just pastes from the clipboard, you can't
provide a string as a parameter. I did have an attempt at creating my own
er, I think it was a user action, but I didn't manage to get it to work, I
think I found much of the literature on the subject to be a bit confusing
and potentially out of date.

That said, I have seen posts in this forum, possibly around the subject of
converting source to free-format, where there were links to working
examples. Maybe I need to dig those out if I can and use them as a start -
I have done a small amount of java programming, so I guess I could muddle
through it.

I understand what you are saying with regard to the rectangular selection
thing but I guess I'd view that as about a similar amount of work to
copying and pasting the text I require from elsewhere in the open file, but
I'd really just like to hit a keystroke like I do it SEU where you can
assign processing against F7 and F8 and the exit program passes you the
screen location to work with.

I might have a perusal at iSphere, but I might run up against limitations
of installing 3rd party software on my clients machines... Sadly we have to
work using Citrix Clients which isn't the most wonderful environment.

Thanks for your info though, something more to look at.
best regards
Craig