Craig

Have you looked at key mapping? You should be able to set up a key combination that will put any character or characters where you are.

Extra stuff is created using Java, so far as I know - there's a development kit within RDi, to help with this kind of thing. David Gibbs who runs these lists has done some of this.

You could take a look at iSphere, a nice set of utilities for RDi - maybe Thomas Raddatz would be interested in making some kind of utility for you.

If you need to fill a block with the same character you can position your cursor, press Alt-R, go to the end of your rectangle, press Aot-R again - then right-click and press L press E then type your fill character or string - this could likely be programmed using the Java stuff (which I've never done!)

HTH
Vern