On 31-Oct-2015 08:30 -0500, Ken Killian wrote:
Gee, I thought RDI & SEU handled member locks...

1.) Open the member in RDI for EDIT
2.) Open the SAME MEMBER in SEU for EDIT

It now allows this???? <shock!>

The SEU first attempts to get an Exclusive-Allow-No-Others (*EXCL) lock on the member when first loading, then if successful, obtains and holds an Exclusive-Allow-Readers (*EXCLRD) lock and then drops the Exclusive lock, while maintaining the *EXCLRD lock while the SEU on that member persists. Thus any thread that wants to access the data from the unsaved-changes can obtain a copy; that is why EDTF, CPYSRCF, RDi, or any other feature just requesting the data can get a copy of that data. Each feature has the option of doing what SEU does, and prevent all but exclusive access, but any client editor effecting that requirement would be quite the deviant.

When I try to save it RDI, I get this message: CPF3156E ("...in use")

presumably correlating with the server msg CPF3156 "File &1 in library &3 in use."

1.) Close SEU
2.) Save source in RDI
3.) try to reopen source edit mode in SEU, I get this:
EDT0221 - "...in use."
<<SNIP>>

AIUI the RDi holds an *EXCLRD lock like SEU [though I've no idea why given the concept is anathema for typical client-based editors AFaIK; an attempt to effect a conceptual difference between that as online-edit vs typical offline-edit, I suppose], and if so, the msg EDT0221 in that case would just reflect the inability of the STRSEU request to obtain that first Exclusive lock. And just a /save/ from the RDi vs the similar action of a /save and exit/ of the SEU, presumably has the RDi maintaining the lock, just as SEU would in a Save-with-return-to-edit. I've no idea what\when RDi would drop their lock, if indeed held as I understand; what I found in a doc on the web for RSE LPEX editor was that "Locks released when editor is closed or the RSE connection is disconnected" but when using iProjects and LPEX editor "No RSE job needed on IBM i server Member PAYROLL is not locked" [noting that their example was editing SRCMBR(PAYROLL)] in a document entitled "Rational Developer for IBM i (RDi) Working offline using i Projects".