On 02-Oct-2015 15:57 -0600, Buck Calabro wrote:
On 10/2/2015 5:00 PM, Greg Wilburn wrote:
Well, I can see it when I google my email address... I didn't put
it in the body of the post did I??

It replaces the @ symbol with <at>

Wow, it doesn't look that way to me at all. And when I search for
your email address with the <at> instead of the @, I get nothing.
However I do find some of my own posts that way. Bizarre.

Hmm. Seems gmane.org is no longer leaving only the legitimately obfuscated emails in their pages :-( Soon after the lists were offloaded there, I had noticed that my email minus only the domain was appearing\visible in presentation of web-search results. What I recall prior, correctly or incorrectly recalling, the gmane posts had been limited in what was exposed of an email address, to just the first several characters. What I recall is that long ago the web-search results would show for the email "emailaddr at domain" as "From: email..." for obfuscation, that more recently the results would show "From: emailaddr%..." for obfuscation [I used '%' in place of '@' to prevent obfuscation of what gmane might consider an inline email addr]. And now, sadly, they appear as "From: emailaddr <at> domain"; they are revealed completely, per illegitimate obfuscation :-(

Note: While the obfuscation long had appeared with the ellipses in some places [like web searches], when visiting the text of the actual posts at gmane.org, email obfuscation was different; the emails were presented as mail-to links with a seeming bunch of random characters, and as I recall when the link was clicked, that address would load in the email client just like a normal mail-to link, and they apparently supported an email server that provided translation into the valid email. An example of where this still functions identically to what I alluded had always the case in my recollection, visit [http://search.gmane.org/?author=CRPence&sort=date] which shows my email obfuscated with the ellipses in each of the results presented, and the hover-over the mail-to link shows the first part of my email with the characters -Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w appended and then the at-sign and public.gmane.org appended at the end. What I seem to recall, and perhaps my memory fails me, is that every character left of the at-sign was not always visible in those ellipse-obfuscated links, so email trawlers could not just use that name appended with various major domains, hoping to /hit/ some valid targets.

Obviously with the new "emailaddr <at> domain" being directly retrievable from the page source, they [i.e. gmane.org] have apparently decided protecting the emails [via legitimate obfuscation] is no longer a priority.? Even a young child could construct the algorithm to piece-together that information as the valid email address. Ugh! I wonder if this change was the source of the increased spam I have been receiving :-(