I am one of those who gave it a look at V5 and V6 (even V4!) and found it
slow and cumbersome. V7 was usable, but I used it primarily for debugging
batch jobs. But with RDP 8 I am finally becoming enthousiastic; it feels
much more responsive than previous versions (the almost simultaneous
arrival of a new laptop with 64bit Windows 7 might have something to do
with that as well).

Funny thing is that I'm more inclined to convert source to free format
when I'm in RDP. The mental switch that is flipped when alternating
between SEU and Windows ('F10 + s + Enter' vs. 'Ctrl-s'; 'F10 + xxx +
enter / F16' vs. 'Ctrl-f / F3; etc.) seems to affect coding style as well.

Now for the Mac version (I'm with you Jon!).

Joep Beckeringh

Bryce Martin

Yes, as in most things that are new, the hind sight is incredible. They

probably underestimated what it would take to convice people to make the

move. And admittedly... V6 (never used V5) was pretty unstable at
times.
V7 completely changed the game as far as speed and stability. In
college
I used vi to do all my programming in C/C++, so I was let down by SEU
from
the beginning. The green screen limitation on #lines was more than I
could stomach. So I used the GUI editor in my second week of work on
this
platform and never looked back.

For all of those who gave it a look at V5 or V6, I encourage you to look

again. I love Rob's idea of total immersion for 90 days. I would put
bets down that it is nearly impossible to go back to SEU for regular
work.

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I