David Gibbs wrote:
From my perspective ... Linux still has a long ways to go to make inroads onto the desktop.

There's a number of factors ...

1. Lack of first class driver support ... video, network, etc. which ties directly into...
2. Lack of vendor support.
Such as? What standard office equipment isn't supported by Linux?

3. Wide variety OS version and distros (which effects #2).
Picking a good version is important, agreed. But that's a one-time cost, and if it can save you boatloads of cash in the long run via licensing and hardware costs, it's a hurdle which any good IT manager simply has to address.

4. (Relative) Lack of applications.
Similar to above, which business applications are lacking? Open Office, Firefox and Thunderbird handle just about anything a large percentage of users do.

5. Usability factors (having to edit config files, having to restart X to apply changes, etc).
I don't see much of that with modern releases. I have yet to configure my EEE PC manually. I have had to do an apt-get or two to get applications, but that's something IT would do in a bigger shop. Where Linux would REALLY make sense is in a thin client environment: really cheap desktops that download your apps from a central server as needed.

On a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being very important and 1 being not important at all, how would you rate the importance of having RDi running on Linux?

2.5 ... it would be nice, but I run XP on my personal laptop and desktop at work, so I'll still run the Windows version.
See, I've already begun the switch. While I have a Windows laptop, I also have a Linux laptop and frankly the Linux laptop is easier to use for some things - and the bootup time is unbeatable compared to Windows. The primary problem with the EEE is the miniscule screen, but whaddya want for $350?

Joe