Wai Hung Kevin Lau wrote:
I totally agree with Aaron.
The last company I worked for are stilling running windows NT with 256 Mb memory. You may think they are cheap but they are working fine without any problem. It is good enough for email, word process and iSeries 5250 emulator. There are 3 costs for moving to WDSC. Hardware & software and Skill set.
IBM is trying to push, but please... don't push too hard. Although I'm familiar with Eclipse, I still have to take time to learn the WDSC. Don't forget that I can only spend my spare time to learn it. Not every company can effort to send the developer to take a 5 days training.
There will be no "push", Kevin, at least not for a while. IBM isn't really targeting ADTS users, although they really wold like to see you move to RDi (and to ILE compilers, for that matter). The only real "target" of this packaging was the shop that was cheating the system by having 40 developers on a P05. Other than that, this was I think a good faith effort to provide the tools needed at a reasonable price point, which is why you have the option of either ADTS or RDi.

Personally, I don't agree with the price point, but at the same time, what would I charge? I know IBM can't make money at $50/year like MyEclipse, so where is the middle ground? Named users or concurrent users? Annual price, one-time cost, or both? Tiered service (email, phone, 24x7 phone)? I don't know. It's so hard to price software, especially in a world where lots of software is free.

Joe