Aaron Bartell skrev den 24-10-2007 14:33:
So what you are basically saying is that developers have the same issues
as users, namely that you expect more from the system than what a green screen is capable of providing?

Nope, that is not what I am saying at all. I am talking about first
appearances concerning development environments/language syntax and how that
determines which technologies an untrained programmer will introduce to
their IT infrastructure. They are drawn by how easy it is to do something
but don't necessarily see the flaws. I am sure the same could be said about
area's in RPG (lack of easy way to do a GUI comes to mind].

Familiarity is an important thing. That is why students get cheap versions of software - if they know the software chances are bigger that they will choose it over a competitor.

For newcomers like me it is evident that the learning curve of the native iSeries tools is high simply because things are done differently and you need to learn all these new things.

Why say that the young ones are not caring about
quality/performance/stability/etc when that is not the real problem?

You are trying to speak to another problem that you see in the industry as
do I - the ability to offer aesthetically pleasing apps. But that doesn't
invalidate my opinion that many new programmers aren't as keen/caring about
quality/performance/stability. We were all there at one time. When I first
started developing I remember just being glad when I got a program working.

I am not talking about aesthetically pleasing, I am simply talking about that you have much more information available on screen and in a familiar way (do stuff? Right click on it) to most computer users who are used to a mouse.

Personally I can live with much ugliness and nastyness in tools, as long as they are predictable and avoidable with experience. The pretty stuff is just a sideeffect of you having more pixels to do with so you can do more.