I've been watching this thread and finally I have to say something now. In
a world where I now code in RPG, RPGLE, Java, HTML, Javascript, JSP, blah
blah blah... I want one interface that can do it all. I don't want to
switch from green screen, to textpad, back to green screen, etc. I can
code, compile, copy and paste in a true windows environment (oh how I hate
how SEU copy and pastes) style. So what if I have to ALT-TAB to test
code. I can compile RPG, see the generated errors if there are any, but I
have to call up a green screen to test. Gee, sounds like when I'm doing
Java. If I'm creating a web based application I have to launch a web
browser to test the code. Actually, I don't have too... WDSC has a
browser built in, but I prefer to bring up a separate browser window for
it. Where is the difference between coding java/web and launching a
browser to test, or coding RPG and launching 5250 to test? Or for that
matter, when I used to use SEU to code, I had a separate session for
testing. So where's the difference there? And... how many numerous times
was I grateful for CTRL-Space to see the parameters for BIF's for RPG. To
be honest, I didn't know so many existed until WDSC. How did I learn
WDSC? A day or so of trial and error, a good book (written by good ol'
Joe Pluta), and forcing myself to use the tool. Considering how much of
our time is spent battling on this list over which is better WDSC or SEU,
one would have launched the tool, started writing source code, and figured
out the library lists and compiling lol. It's not whether one tool is
better than another as much as it is people are resistant to change. I
know I am resistant to change, but I needed WDSC for the sole purpose of
bringing home a project to work on so I didn't need a connection to the
iSeries to code. And it does that too, allows one to work offline from
the iSeries. You could code while on a plane. Unless you're really
strong, and buy an extra plane ticket for the black box to accomodate you
on the plane, you ain't gonna be able to do that with SEU lol.

But the bottom line is, you either *want* to do something or you don't
want to do something. I've told my kids, there are no excuses for not
doing something other than you haven't tried to find a way to do it or put
in the effort required to do it. The one word in the english dictionary I
absolutely hate is CAN'T. The only thing in this world you CAN'T do is
live forever.

Ron Power
Programmer
Information Services