I agree. In fact, I've already created browser based programs using CGI
and freeform (and I didn't need WDSC to do it). They're still under
evaluation from management to see if they want to go in that direction.
:(

Did I take a class to learn freeform and CGI? No. I learned them by
working extra hours to do so. It was slow and humbling because as
anyone on this forum knows, you can't get a single definitive answer
when it comes to CGI development on the iSeries... i5... System i... or
whatever the heck IBM is calling it this year.

Why did I take the time and effort to learn CGI? Because it had an end
result that I couldn't easily do without it. Does WDSC have benefits to
it that I can't do with SEU/PDM that TRULY affect the end result? Not
from what I've seen.
Oooh, I can search with WDSC.... yeah, I can search in SEU too (or use
my own tools I developed for searching).
Oooh, I can open multiple programs in WDSC... I don't particularly want
to edit multiple programs at one time. If I need to have the dds and
ile open at the same time I can open 2 sessions.
Oooh, I can see errors instantly in WDSC... what are errors? ;-)
Oooh, I can edit screens in ... oops, never mind.

And as for job security... well, if we ain't using WDSC here, no one is
going to replace me because they use it and I don't. Also, I keep in
touch with a large number of programmers I've met through the years and
when I ask them about WDSC... guess what?.. they're not using it. Most
of them don't even have it installed where they are. "We don't use that
here", "We might if IBM quit jacking around with the way they offer it",
"We don't see any benefit from switching to it", "Our PCs don't have
enough memory and we have higher priorities for our limited budget than
upgrading them", and on and on.

Don't get me wrong. I actually like some of the features in WDSC (that's
why I joined this forum) and look forward to it becoming more popular,
but even I'm getting tired of all the WDSC bible thumpers basically
insinuating that people are idiots if they haven't learned how to use it
- or worse - CHOOSE not to use it. IMOH - use the tool that works best
for you.