Joe Pluta wrote:
From: Buck
WDSC is not a PDM-killer.

It is for all but the simplest tasks.

It seems self-evident that WDSC is not a PDM-killer, because way more people use PDM than WDSC.

It is a pretty good IDE, slightly better than
PDM because of more screen real estate and coloured tokens. That's it.

Not true. WDSC has far superior search capabilities. The integrated
compile errors far surpasses the WRKSPLF/PDM combination. The ease of
creating multiple compile commands is outstanding. Copying source between
systems is a breeze.

Listen to the complaints that every single newcomer to WDSC from PDM has to say and tell THEM that their impression is all wet. The universal opinion is that WDSC is too complicated and doesn't offer enough benefit compared to PDM/SEU.

We veterans have spent a lot of time and energy trying to convince newcomers of the truth in your reply and it's been a long, slow road. It's my opinion that we (the WDSC community as a whole) have set expectations too high -- unrealistically high.

Let's address your points. Superior search capability. True! Now take a straw poll. I have 2 questions.
a) Who uses search from the SEU command line?
b) Who uses regular expressions in WDSC?

I suspect the answer is 'a very few' in both cases. Now given that Ctrf-F looks quite a lot like F14, and that regular expressions are complex enough that few people use them, where is the 'superior' part of searching in practical RPG programmer terms? By the way, Ctrl-F doesn't have a 'search by date,' which SEU has. Searching through a selected block in WDSC is just plain flaky. Select a block of text, like a procedure definition by holding down the Shift key and pressing Cursor Down. Press Ctrl-F. Tick 'Restrict search to selection.' Type const in the 'From' box. Good luck. Escape out of that and select your lines with Ctrl-L instead and it works. Grrrr. Fortunately, I'm a command line freak, so I prefer 'findText all selection replaceWith CONST const' and that works for me without having to fight the GUI for domination of the source. <grin>

Integrated compile/errors far surpasses PDM. Listen the the newcomers wonder how (and why) they need to set up the message filters and remove the messages the error reporting sticks into their source. I happen to like the WDSC system, and after a very short while I'm used to Ctrl-F5, but how is it substantially different from F10, *err, F16?

Ease of creating multiple compile commands is about the same as user actions in PDM.

Copying source between systems is easy with drag & drop but newcomers count the time spent drilling down through the source tree as frustration. SNDNETF is fast and can be scripted in a CL program so that you can easily do incremental development and ship the source many times via a CL program.

Everything in your reply, everything, is accomplished in PDM with practically no more effort than needed in WDSC. We've raised their expectations too high with comments like this.

And if all of this even if you're just maintaining old RPG III code. If
you're using RPGLE, the Outline view and Service Entry Points are far more
productive than PDM and SEU.

This is another expectation that is unrealistic. What does 'more productive' really mean? Can PDM programmers now type faster because they switched? I get bang for my buck (heh!) via regular expressions and (the once and future) scripting, things SEU can't offer at all. Copy/paste? Every emulator has it.

WDSC offers me more real estate than SEU, so I can easily copy a hundred lines of code and paste them multiple times (heaven forbid) in multiple open source members if I want to. I don't ever need this in real life of course, except when grabbing code from the web or a mailing list. In Ye Olden Days, I would save the post to a file and CPYF it to my new source member, but I like the ability to copy/paste directly.

For the editing tasks that commercial programmers do (i.e. not tool writers), WDSC just doesn't make people that much more productive. SEP is great, and makes debugging lots easier once you get used to watching variables the new way.

Even if it was just real estate and color, it would be worth it, but the
other features above (and many others beside) make staying with PDM and SEU
very hard to justify.

I've already switched, for a decade now. My challenge to you is to convince the newcomers that switching from PDM to WDSC is hard to justify. Can you recall a post from a newcomer that went like this: 'Just tried WDSC. Loaded quickly and ran flawlessly. Does everything I need and I'll never use PDM or SEU again!'? I can't. There is a large body of people who disagree with you, and continue to justify using SEU every day. I believe it's because WDSC has been positioned as the be-all and end-all of Life, The Universe and Everything. At least in their minds.

I agree with everything you've said, and I think the key to adopting
WDSC is setting reasonable expectations, or perhaps accepting the
product for what it currently is, rather than what people think it
promises to be in the future.

WDSC is better than SEU and PDM for all but the simplest jobs.
Oh, and SDA <grin>.

Yes, but just how much better is the entire point. I'm an avid, if not rabid <grin> user of WDSC, and have been using a GUI editor for a looooong time. Despite that, I have not been able to get a single programmer to switch over, no matter how much I show them and work in front of them. They are just not impressed enough to switch. Maybe all they do is 'the simplest jobs.'

I'm going to try to 'market' WDSC to the folks here at work again, only this time I'm going to try to set expectations a little lower. The culture shock of moving to a GUI is apparently bad enough that the adoption rate is just too low. I'll be positioning WDSC as a little better than SEU, and for the obvious (i.e. anyone can see it when they look!) screen real estate and coloured tokens (look -- no more stealth comments!)

If I can get anybody to try it again (I'm hearing 'yeah, yeah, come talk to me after The Big Project is done') I'll try to keep a record of what the newcomers did and didn't like. Maybe we (the community) can make life better with our Wiki.

I'm not giving up on WDSC, but I don't think it's going to kill PDM in the next 5 years either. It's just not that much better for the complexity and culture shock involved.
--buck