I get just a little confused when I hear people say that "IBM doesn't market the System i because it's rock solid and doesn't need so many services, and IBM is a services company now, not hardware or software." Which implies, at least indirectly, that IBM doesn't do such a good job on their z- and x-series servers so they can sell services, or they screwed their own corporate game plan when they built the iSeries.

There have been many messages on the Midrange-L list from people who said that they are still on V4R(whatever); even one recently on V3R?. That's sort of like my mother who still drives her 1990 Taurus because, well, it just keeps on running and she doesn't need any of those modern gadgets. Automobile manufacturers' "planned obsolescence," like IBM's, isn't that it won't work after X years, but, rather, we'll keep adding new stuff (and add a tail fin).

Get off this kick already. It doesn't hold water. No rational company (of which IBM may be one) keeps upgrading and improving a system if the revenue stream isn't there. IBM does not manufacture, sell, or maintain System/36's anymore (not to mention a lot of other systems).

        * Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i5/iSeries Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
        615.995.7024
fax
        615.995.1201
email
        jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Holden Tommy wrote:
That's just it....the system I doesn't NEED that much in way of
services.  Compared to any other enterprise class machine the iSeries
just doesn't require as much attention.  It's like a tank...it's darn
hard to kill it.  IMO that's one reason IBM DOESN'T market the iSeries
as much as other machines.  If all there customers move to the iSeries
their service revenue will dry up in no time.  Why market something that
can kill major income?  But I digress...i'd love to see the iSeries
family marketed and the WDSC really BE free to developers.  A lot more
folks would look at the iSeries than ever before.  Heck most college
classes don't even mention the iSeries (or whatever you wanna call it
these days).  If the newer developers haven't even heard of it how can
you recruit them?  Without new blood, it's hard to keep things moving.
I still have plenty of years doing this job & I plan to be doing RPG the
whole way thru to retirement.  But I hope to see the iSeries community
grow...not die.  Until IBM gets on-board with a REAL merketing plan it's
gonna be a long, hard road ahead...

Thanks,
Tommy Holden