I agree.  I love working Joe into a froth :-)

I hope we at least added two viewpoints on potential tools for web
services.

Other viewpoints are welcome.

Joe gets worked up when I talk about converting VB into Java bytecode.
Point of fact is that's only 5% of what we use Visual Studio for but it's
a great way to leverage existing Visual Studio VB or C# code to run
natively on the iSeries.

Here's another example where the VB to Java bytecode scenario can work
well: We used Visual Studio and VB to recently create a Websphere Portlet
for our WebDocs product.  Talk about cross-platform code re-use.  We
re-used 99.5% of existing .Net code and it runs natively on iSeries or
Windows or Linux.

<OMNI user group plug>
For the record my .Net class at OMNI will have nothing to do with VB to
Java bytecode. We're teaching VB.Net and ASP.Net for iSeries developers
:-)

My class is geared to help those of us who are "tried and true" RPG
developers get a jump start to learning Visual Studio.  If you're
interested in Visual Studio, don't be intimidated by Joe's viewpoint.  The
"real-world" does use .Net with the iSeries to bring continuing value to
the platform.

And guess what, they use it in conjunction with RPG programs.  Very cool
!!

Whether you come to see me or Joe, make sure to show up at the Omni User
Conference on Feb 26th/27th  http://www.omniuser.org
</OMNI user group plug>

<COMMON user group plug>
Same class will be taught at common in Anaheim as a pre-conference
workshop.
</COMMON user group plug>

I look forward to sharing my .Net expertise for those of you who really
want to know more about it.

Onward:

Joe's missing the real issue of why .Net is important to ALL of us as
iSeries developers.

Here's the reality that I live with every day running a software product
company:

Many more customers are asking about how to fend off attacks from the
script kiddies who want to replace the iSeries with .Net/SQL Server based
applications than are saying: "We just wrote or purchased this cool system
in Java and it's going to help us keep our iSeries in-house."

I see many more people dumping the iSeries for .Net applications rather
than Java applications.  Whether Joe agrees or not, that is the reality my
software team deals with every day.

My .Net message: Learn the importance of using a tool like .Net to
leverage the iSeries as a powerful database server for native iSeries apps
and for the Windows and Web applications the younger generation wants to
see.  Unfortunately in corporate America sex sells and when it comes to
Sex, MS Wins hands down and the 30-something CFO always goes for the
option that looks the best.  In my experience it's not too often the Java
option :-)

Just to be clear on my overall development position:  my team uses RPG, CL
, Java, C#, VB, VB.Net, PHP, CGI-DEV and more... on a regular basis
depending on the task at hand.

Being fluent in several technologies allows my team to always be able to
select the best tool and language for any given task.

For example:  We just wrote a native iSeries Java application that reads
and writes calendar entries from a Domino mail file and populates a
DB2/400 database.  That's all Java and all iSeries wrapped by CL commands
and integrated with an RPG program.

RPG, VB, C# and Java are ALL far from the "horse and buggy" approach that
Joe jokes about.

This is the part where we sing "Kumbaya" or "all we are saying is give
peace a chance".

Don't be intimidated or dissuaded from using .Net technologies based on
comments from Joe against Microsoft products.

Also don't necessarily be convinced to use Java either based on Joe's or
my comments.

Make your own informed decisions after weighing both sides.

I would love to do a real side-by-side class where we teach a beginning
class for Java developers and let's say C# to keep it closer to Java for
Joe's sake.  At the end of the class let's see who can be more productive.
 I would take the Microsoft Visual Studio bet any day given real world
experience with both sets of tools.

For what it's worth :-)

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
"Providing Your....iNFORMATION NOW!"
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 898-3038
Fax: (952) 898-1781
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT

message: 8
date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 20:56:43 -0500
from: "Eclipse User" <eclipse@xxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Web Services Solutions

LOL!