Vern,

You can perform user actions against multiple items.  However, what I
think is an improvement over PDM, when you define the User Action you can
specify whether it only applies to a single selection.  If you do this,
then it will not be available if you select multiple items.

I also like that you can tie actions specifically to objects or members as
well as specfic object or member types.

Mark

wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 12/29/2003 10:12:34 PM:

> Welcome, Frank, to the bleeding edge of a brave new world!  ;-)
>
> Looks like you're trying to install version 4, as Mark points out. I
agree,
> get version 5.1, which you can order if you have Software maintenance or

> subscription.
>
> If you do no Java development (only RPG or COBOL and CL and DDS) and do
not
> need to add any functions to the environment, I don't think you need to
> know Java. I use the product regularly and do not use Java at all. The
> older CODE editor uses a different macro language, and it has been
> suggested that it will be brought in to Remote Systems Explorer. That
LPEX
> macro language is simpler but not as full-featured.
>
> There are some settings for performance that are Java options, but
there's
> a document on the Web that gives some guidelines there.
>
> I'm also not aware of any problem with Win2K and Client Access, except
for
> Operations Console on a Win2K box with service pack 4, and this is a
> Microsoft bug. I have the fix, but you should not need it for normal
> developers' machines - only if you use Operations Console for your
console.

> I'm sorry to say that I do not recommend the RSE editor for CL - it does

> not format the same way as SEU. The external CODE editor is better for
CL
> and can be started from RSE.
>
> The filters are actually pretty good. They are a different way of doing
> things than PDM. It's a paradigm from the older CODE editor. There are
> options to open only to members or certain kinds of objects, etc. And a
> nice table view is available.
>
> The ability to have multiple source members open at the same time is a
> great thing. Esp. when I need to reference something in one from another
-
> it's more accessible than F15 and half-screen in SEU.
>
> BTW, you'd never know this, but for training and tutorials, etc., go to
the
> Library link, not the Training and certification link. I think you'll be
> lot happier. <http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/wds400/library/>
>
> You could also find some stuff at Jon Paris' and Sue Gantner's site:
> <http://www.as400pro.com/TipsCode400.htm>
>
> Once you have 5.1 installed, the update process is pretty good - there's
an
> Update Manager that knows where to look, so you don't need to download
> everything. It'll take 3-4terations to get everything, however.
>
> When you reboot after the first phase of installation, be sure to take
the
> iSeries extensions for CODE and Visual RPG before doing anything else.
>
> VERY IMPORTANT - go to the WDSC sebsite and get the PTFs for the iSeries

> that are required - there's a link.  And, of course, the required
options
> of 5722-WDS need to be installed - sounds as if you already have them.
>
> BTW, I've been dragged kicking and screaming - I've fought (and lost)
with
> various versions of CODE since the mid-late 90's, hoping for something
> that'll be good enough to replace PDM and SEU in a graphical emulator
with
> copy-paste, which is still pretty good, IMO. But I'm the one championing

> this stuff at our company. We're basically in the "better tools" step of

> the "roadmap" that IBM's cramming down our throats, and that's fine for
our
> needs. The other developers basically work out of CODE Project
Organizer,
> which has less of an impact on your PC's resources. 128meg works OK for
> CODE. You still need to install everything but don't need to use it all
> until you want or need to.
>
> As far as similarity to PDM, that's hype. This is different, and better
in
> many ways. At the same time, you can't do searches in multiples members
of
> multiple source files, as in PDM. It's not obvious (or possible?) to do
> user options or PDM options against multiple objects/members, etc.
Again,