As far as the files involved, let me suggest that a good RPG programmer would be
able to help you figure out which files are in use at any given time...
However, I would heed the cautions suggested in the sound reply issued by John
McPherson...

Stephen makes reference to Menu /INS...  The Inventory Stock Counting Menu  -
And, as Joe rightly stated you should use the Inventory Stock Counting Module to
achieve this process...

I'm not sure when but several years ago this process was enhanced to allow the
counting of WIP and to combine the tickets for the same part stored/counted in
different locations...  This enhancement was originally developed for/by the
Automotive Enhancement Group in the Detroit office...  The library it was
distributed in was called AEGINW351...  If you have this library on your system
then you should also have the /INS2 menu...  I have included snapshots of both
/INS and /INS2 menus below...

  INS          XX - Please select desired Company    User JKLIPA      01/02/02
                                                                      09:51:07
  Inventory Stock Counting Menu

  Count Profile                          Count Documentation
   1. Maintenance                        41. Print count sheets
   2. Enquiry                            42. Reprint count sheets

  ABC Classification                     Count Reconciliation
  11. Regenerate ABC classifications     51. Without update
                                         52. With update
  Create Count
  21. ABC recommendations                Count Enquiries
  22. Manual range                       61. Recommended counts
                                         62. Outstanding counts
  Maintain/Record Count                  63. Item count summary
  31. Maintain count                     64. Count history
  32. Enter count details
  33. Complete count lists
                                         90. Signoff
INS2          XX - Please select desired Company     User JKLIPA      01/02/02
                                                                      09:52:19
Inventory Stock Counting Menu

PreProcessing                        Updates to Count Lists
 1. Tag Control Creation             21. Reconciliation Reports with Transfer
 2. WIP Stockroom Extraction         22. Reconciliation Reports wo/  Transfer
                                     23. Transfer to Count Sheets wo/ Report
Process                              Updates to Inventory Balances
 5. Tag Entry/Maintenance            24. Update Frozen Balances
                                     25. Update a WIP Stockroom

Reports                              Special Process
10. Tag Batch Listing                30. Tag Creation for Count List
11. Inventory by Plant/Stockroom
12. Inventory by Part Number
13. WIP Inventory Report             80. Inventory Count List Menu
14. WIP Reconciliation               81. Warehousing Count List Menu
15. Held WIP Reconciliation          90. Signoff

Now, this process does not work for NON-Stocked Items - That is to say that the
only parts you can count are those stored in INP60 - Stockroom Details File...
So If your MRO parts are not defined to a stockroom this won't work for you...
But if they are then this will be a dream for you...

No need to use the Excel Spreadsheets and upload/download data, etc...  Just
create your manual range, print your count sheets, count your parts, enter your
counts, reconcile the counts, and update the inventory...  The last step
performs a physical adjustment (just like 31/INP does...)  This insures that the
valuation of the stock adjustments is duly recorded in your General (Financial)
Ledger...

They way your predecessor is doing it may have worked for them, but it's not the
best approach in my humble opinion...

Hth...

Like to know if anyone has any ideas on entering the results of a physical
inventory. I am retracing the steps of a predecessor (who is not available).
So far this is the completed work:

1. Run a query to create a file that has the part numbers I need (in this
case MRO-related only).

2. Export the data to an Excel file and format to print into forms that
workers can write-in their findings.

3. Forms are given to entry clerk who keys results into original Excel file.

4. Excel file is emailed back to me:

What I originally suspected was that that there is some SQL approach to
mass-replacing the old totals with the new ones in INP35. However in talking
with others I find that there is apparently an adjustment made that is
included in each part's movement history under 4/INE (from the previous PI)
so whacking one number with another looks like a bad idea.

An aside: If anyone knows how to view whatever data file(s) are in play
during while a particular screen is up please advise. I know the program
name is in the upper corner but I am curious about uncombing the myriad of
interconnected data tables and their relationships.

Thanks in advance

Alan Kincer - MCP, A+
MIS - KI(USA)
501 Mayde Rd.