  • Subject: RE: AS/400 upgrade - JBA license fee
  • From: Dan Thomas <DThomas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 11:45:31 -0400

Nancy,

I checked our contract and lo and behold, we have the same verbiage in our
contract about "may incur additional user license fees in connection with
the transfer of the software product(s) from one processor or platform...".
I'm certain our sales rep said that this wasn't an issue, but of course he
is long gone.  We already have about twice as many user license fees as we
have users (long story), but thankfully at this time we have more than
enough processing capacity on our existing system.  Anyway, thanks for
starting this thread because it alerts me to a potential roadblock to
upgrading our system in the future.

As for your performance problem, we've used Objects some and I would be
happy to review (no charge of course) your Objects query if you want to
e-mail me the SQL statements from your Object Query.  Do Query, View and
you'll see the SQL in Notepad.  Save that file and e-mail  that.  I'm
recommending this approach since I'm guessing you're on 6.1 or later of
Objects and we're on 6.0.  I'm guessing there may be some issues with access
paths your query is using and I'm making the assumption your G/L files can't
be that large with the number of users you have.

I thought I heard there was a way to make the ODBC server jobs
(QZDASOINIT)initiated by Objects run at a lower priority than other
interactive jobs, but we've never figured it out.  Maybe some AS/400 whiz
can help with that.  Of course then your Objects jobs would take longer, but
I figure that is acceptable.

Dan Thomas
Sr. VP Information Systems
MDI