1)  Buy a screaming fast 400
2)  Buy a screaming fast tape drive
3)  Break your libraries down into groups.  We centralized our 400's.  No
need to take Ireland down to backup the plant in Iowa.  Kind of a time zone
issue also.
4)  Allocate as many objects in each library as you can.  I think the
maximum is 5000.  We actually do this.
5)  Do your save.
6)  Dealloc the objects
7)  Next library
8)  Next group

This has some advantages over other methods.
- You don't have to kill all divisions at once.
- You don't get smug because you killed QINTER just to have some C/A user
get in and hose it up.
Our backup runs for hours.  But, each division takes less than 10 minutes.
Why lock everyone out for hours when we just need them for 10 minutes?

In case you're thinking of this, ALCOBJ of a library is pretty ineffective.
Others can still get to the objects.

Rob Berendt

==================
A smart person learns from their mistakes,
but a wise person learns from OTHER peoples mistakes.

                    Chuck Lewis
                    <clewis@iquest.net>        To:     security400@midrange.com
                    Sent by:                   cc:
                    security400-admin@mi       Subject:     Re: [Security400]
QINACTITV does not appear to be working
                    drange.com

                    08/30/2001 10:06 AM
                    Please respond to
                    security400

Dan,

We only have one system here and I notice that some devices get knocked of
(we use 90)
and yet others, which have had no activity for HOURS are still on. The
common thread
seems to be they are PC's connected via TCP/IP and not the dumb terminals
(?).

We DEFINITELY end QINTER for backups and the backup job runs in QBATCH so
no user
submitted jobs can run against it...

Chuck