Nothing against your tools, but much of the functionality you provide and I used to provide is drop dead simple to implement in open source languages. Then any open source dev or open minded RPG dev can maintain those apps or APIs. And they integrate nicely to RPG/CL.

Of course you offer the comfort of support for your apps which is often important.

There's definitely value in RPG based apps, but I don't relish my years of having to hammer together odd code structures in RPG, CL and C to get complex things done when I could have used Python, Node, Java or PHP to do some of those things easier with the plethora of integration samples available.

It's all a matter of perspective.

But I respect yours and Jon's position.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
Web: http://www.richardschoen.net
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

message: 3
date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 15:18:42 -0600
from: Brad Stone <bvstone@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Calendar entry generator

On Mar 4, 2022, at 1:04 PM, Richard Schoen
<richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I'm much less fond of using RPG directly these days to do stuff that
is
better suited to the opensource APIs such as:
-Web service calls
-Spreadsheet exports
-Data importing
-Sending email
-Receiving email
-Interacting with Office365
etc.

Most of these are available to RPG ILE... And I'm adding things all the time when customers request specific interfaces to Google or Office 365 (or other platforms).