Hello Karl,

Am 05.03.2022 um 09:28 schrieb LOGIC IT: Karl FRITZ <k.fritz@xxxxxxxx>:

An then, ultimate question: Why should customers still use an IBM i?

This discussion pops up now and then. Another fellow list member put it last time: We keep the stuff running for as long as it takes, and hopefully the last one switches off the light.

But seriously… Why? Because they always did. It's there, it's working, so why throw it away (and a lot of money) for replacing it with something else? Sad? Yes.

My boss talked to an IBMer last year and that one was utterly surprised when he was told that I'm developing new "programs" (small helper utilities, that is) for older OS/400 releases.

As sad as it is but the platform seems to be experience a very slow fade into oblivion. Ongoin transition of PASE into "yet another Linux" helps to keep it alive somewhat longer, and both worlds can be combined for ongoing expansion and maintenance of existing applications.

This is what I've experienced myself and a distillate of opinions I've read again and again in the Midrange-L for quite some time. Because this list has many members from the US, there might be some cultural bias involved. And many active list members service the platform for big to huge companies. Also something to consider, when comparing with European "standards".

My personal opinion is that with the advent of "everything has to be moved to the browser", one of the main advantages of the platform is neglected: To have a reasonably user friendly, but very quickly responding text user interface (compared to a "dumb" shell command line) built with considerably little effort. At least when I compare the PF/DSPF/RPGLE "Trinity" with my experiences on libncurses on Linux. Assembling HTML to send to the browser, probably with the aid of PHP can be done with any reasonable Linux system, plus one of the "free" RDBMS. Main advantage: There's a much larger community to ask for help, if needed.
This is my opinion which is very biased towards smaller companies. I'm not claiming to tell the ultimate truth here. ;-)

:wq! PoC